Saturday 3 December 2011

DIY Cutout Dress / Merry December!




 Inspired by A Pair and A Spare's DIY blog, I have been cutting up a whole bunch of my dresses in the last couple of days, trying to give a new life to some of my older and slightly more boring dresses. I've done two and a half so far! It's really simple and easy to do, and I didn't even know that I could sew, so really anyone can do it! And it makes your dresses pretty and new!

This is how you might want to go about slicing up your very own dresses:

(here is my very informative paint diagram)

1. Turn dress inside out. I then used a right-angle ruler because I wanted a triangle shape cutout from my dress.  If the dress already has a waistline sewn in, that's great because you can use it to go from. Put ruler against the dress with the bottom edge on top of the waistline, and the sloping edge sloping towards the middle of the dress. Draw with pencil along the longest edge of the triangle.


2. Do this on both the front and the back of the dress.

3. Cut out the front first, then the back, along the line you have just drawn in a triangle shape (do NOT try and cut the front and back together, you will end up accidently cutting through the waistline (like I did at first).)



 4. Cut down the middle of the piece that you have just cut out (down the side of the dress) just to the waistline.

5. Fold the triangle halves down into the dress, folding on the waistline. Then hem all sides. I just hemmed it by hand, it doesn't take long because it's only a very small section.


6. Do on other side of dress (unless you want it to be lopsided, which, you may!)

Hooray! You now have a cute new dress with sexy cutouts.

BEFORE:
AFTER:





Hype me on lookbook if you found this useful/interesting!

Also, please don't try this first on your favourite, most expensive dress. Grab a dress with a cute print from a vintage store or op shop for cheap, or find one at the back of your wardrobe, so that you won't end up in tears/super angry at me if you stuff it up a little (mine was give to me by a friend, and she got it from KMart, but had never been worn because it was too unflattering).

3 comments:

  1. Great DIY lovley, I may have to try it out :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress is such a beauty! <3 And I am obsessing over the socks with scarlet red shoes!

    x
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's cute, i love what you did to the dress! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails