Saturday 16 March 2013

Oh my heart beats in it's cage / Inattentional Blindness

I HAVE SUCH EXCITING NEWS! I'm doing some pretty goofy expressions in these photos, which you'll have to excuse me for - I couldn't stop smiling really ludicrously/crying from happiness, as I'd just found out that I have been asked to be a part of my university's 'talented student program', WHICH MEANS that I might get to do special research projects and maybe even present them to a bunch of proper scientists at proper science conferences, and basically, BE A REAL-LIFE, PROPER SCIENTIST, getting to throw myself into some research instead of just studying what's already been discovered! I am a billion times over the moon about this and just had to share it with you all :D

As for my outfit today: I looove this Koogal sweater! I've been wearing it every single day since I got it in the mail. It goes so well with circle skirts and denim shorts. For this outfit though, I paired it with some cute red gumboots, a red skirt and a red backpack so I kind of have a colour-themed thing going on here. I've also got a giveaway running from Koogal at the moment which you can enter (if you haven't already) here!

sweater - c/o Koogal
skirt - Wholesale
socks - c/o Sock Dreams
boots - Ebay
backpack - Asos

I received some feedback on my explanation of the Ames room in my mini-magazine that I posted yesterday, with a reader expressing surprise that human perceptions can be tricked so easily! I'm really interested in the study of human perception, because when you get into it, a large amount of what we perceive (of what we think of as reality) is just totally made up by our brains. Here's one of my favourite demonstrations of how little attention we pay to reality: Inattentional Blindness.
This video is from Derren Brown, who demonstrated the phenomenon with his "person swap". Basically, he asks for directions from passerbys, then swaps around with a totally different person during a slight distraction - and gauges whether the passerby notices the change. Many people don't.

I particularly love at 2:20 when he swaps with a female, and the woman he was talking to doesn't appear to notice in the slightest.

Yeah. Human beings are pretty bad judges of reality.


30 comments:

  1. hahahahaha oh my gosh that video was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations darling! There's nothing better than conducting your own research!
    Also I adore Derren Brown because he is a mathematician and uses complex probability laws to conduct his illusions!


    http://oflambsandlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute outfit :)

    www.urbanikamoda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looooove that sweater!! Also the boots are adorable, what brand are they?

    Mackenzie
    www.heybirdfriend.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the amazing opportunity, and I absolutely love your heart sweater and those booties!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I AM DYING over your cute rain booties!! Congrats on the awesome academic stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ANNIKA, CONGRATULATIOOOOOOONS!! Oh my, I'm so so happy for you, and send you the best wishes from Spain <3!! Learn as much as you can and don't let this pass, 'cause this can be the first step for the time of your life... and I'm sure you can do it!! *cheers and claps* GO GO ANNIKA GO!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, congratulations! That's amazing news!!! Secondly, this outfit is perfection!!! So lovely, and I didn't realize you were doing a giveaway with Koogal soo I'd better enter :) and that video is really eye-opening. I love the study of human psychology and human behavior, and I find this incredibly interesting! Thanks for posting it!!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for being a real scientist! I'm so happy for you and that sounds like an awesome opportunity!
    I also love your heart sweater with the adorable red circle skirt. Seeing this skirt makes me want one like it so badly! I feel like I could wear it with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am so happy for you! All those scientists will not know what to do when you come in the door. So fashionable and science-y at the same time, their brains might implode. I do love this red outfit. that skirt is super duper cute and i've always love those red boots of yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! I hope you get to go to those conferences, they sound awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Congratulations on being a talented student and a future real life scientist!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww this outfit is adorable! You look lovely :D And fantasic news! Congratulations :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog so much, just because of these amazing videos and science facts. Keep on the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, you are so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annika darling, maybe you can do a DIY about this kitty pockets? http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z301/theclotheshorse/lookbook/Ashley23_lowres_zps33b2200e.jpg# They're sooo freaking cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how cool are they??!! Yes. I'll definitely be putting that on my to-do list! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  17. Congratulations Annika! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! I love your sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  19. congrats! ^(°w°)^ I'm really happy to know that your studies are helping your dream to be a real scientist!

    oh, and also, great outfit! and your expression is not goofy, you look cute, and should smile more often :}}

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats!!!!

    And i love that person swap video. I always wondered after wathcing it if I would notice lol

    zuleyb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats! :) I am really happy for you! You'll be a great scientist. And what a cute outfit.

    Angela
    Artofbeingweird.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. oooooh! it´s amaizing! congratulation! so.. we should adore you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a cute sweater! Excellent post :)

    http://sanjaburgundy.blogspot.com/2013/03/sunnypinky.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG is that the cutest outfit ever? And congratulations on being part of that new program. I'm sure you will be the proper scientist.

    http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the whole red theme in your outfit! You have probably one of the most unique styles of all the blogs I follow, and it just reminds me that it's okay to not really dress like the typical "fashion blogger", you know? Keep up the awesome outfits!
    ♡♡♡
    ofdistantdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. congrats!I was so excited when I started research and going to conferences. Enjoy it while you can, it gets really hard and more like work once you are on a doctorate >.<

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message! I read every single one. Don't forget to check back for a reply if you leave a question! ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails